Science • Education
Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are extremely dangerous weather phenomena.
If you are not a trained spotter, please seek shelter immediately when you hear warnings or notice threatening weather approaching you. Do not use your car or other vehicle as shelter. Do not seek shelter from high winds or tornado under a bridge or overpass.
NOAA's Severe Weather Awareness resources
Protect Your Home: Tornado Preparedness
WHEN THUNDER ROARS, GO INDOORS!
Lightning typically kills as many people each year as tornadoes.
Lightning can strike up to 10 to 15 miles away from a thunderstorm, without any warning.
TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN!
Each year, more deaths occur due to flooding than from any other severe weather related hazard.
Heat: A Major Killer
Heat is the number one weather-related killer in the United States, resulting in hundreds of
fatalities each year. In fact, on average, excessive heat claims more lives each year than floods, lightning, tornadoes and hurricanes combined.
- MetEd — education and training resources to benefit the operational forecaster community, university atmospheric scientists and students, and anyone interested in learning more about meteorology, weather forecasting, and related geoscience topics
- JetStream — the National Weather Service Online Weather School, designed to help educators, emergency managers, or anyone interested in learning about weather and weather safety
- National Severe Storms Laboratory
Societies and Organizations
Personal Weather Pages and Blogs
National / Topical
- VORTEX2 — Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes Experiment 2
Conversions and Calculations
Data & Visualizers
NWS Maps (not weather data)
Anthropogenic Climate Change (popularly known as Global Warming)
Note: + indicates a site which promotes the view that human activities are negatively impacting global climate or weather; - indicates a site which promotes the view that either human activities are insignificant to global climate or weather or that the impact of human activities is uncertain. The number of pluses or minuses indicate the strength of the site's viewpoint.
- The IPCC (++++)
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is the leading international body for the assessment of climate change. It was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) to provide the world with a clear scientific view on the current state of knowledge in climate change and its potential environmental and socio-economic impacts. The UN General Assembly endorsed the action by WMO and UNEP in jointly establishing the IPCC.
- ClimateGate (----)
- Note: On March 9, 2010, the Climategate.com stopped operations as a daily blog. On July 17, 2010, we returned as a simple news aggregator. The main reason for this was to make available again all of our previous articles. You can find them through this index of climategate articles.
The goal of Climategate.com is to provide a daily dose of information regarding the world’s greatest scam, climategate, and other information and news to help you in your battle against the Religion of Settled Science to dispute their views on Anthropogenic Global Warming, and in addition, to battle the one-world socialist agenda, which is the movement’s leaders’ real goal.
- International Climate and Environmental Change Assessment Project, is the portal to all things climate for elected officials and staffers, journalists, scientists, educators and the public. It provides access to a new and growing global society of respected scientists and journalists that are not deniers that our climate is dynamic (the only constant in nature is change) and that man plays a role in climate change through urbanization, land use changes and the introduction of greenhouse gases and aerosols, but who also believe that natural cycles such as those in the sun and oceans are also important contributors to the global changes in our climate and weather. We worry the sole focus on greenhouse gases and the unwise reliance on imperfect climate models while ignoring real data may leave civilization unprepared for a sudden climate shift that history tells us will occur again, very possibly soon.
- Global Warming Science (---)
- A web site written by Alan Cheetham, an engineer with 30 years experience including extensive scientific training, data analysis, modeling and statistics. He has several published papers dealing with data modeling. Although not a "climate scientist" by trade, his knowledge and training enables him to scientifically evaluate the data and the scientific studies. According to him: "the science doesn't match the scary scenarios portrayed by the media."
- John Coleman's Blog (KUSI, San Diego) (---)
- See also Testimony of John Coleman before a House Subcomittee.
Articles and Data